- Spaghetti Squash1
- Shrimp1 PoundPeeled and deveined (16-20 count_
- Smoke Sausage1 CupChopped in small pieces
- Bell peppers1/4 CupChopped fine
- Green onion1/2 CupChopped thin
- Mozzarella Cheese1/3 CupShredded
- Parmesan Cheese1/3 CupShredded
- Butter4 TeaspoonsUsed for sautéing shrimp and sausage
- Garlic powder1/2 Teaspoon
- Olive oil1 TablespoonUsed to rub outside of spaghetti squash
- Salt and PepperTo taste
This past year I discovered spaghetti squash and was skeptical about trying it. I searched and found several tutorials on how to prepare it. Afterwards I decided on how I would prepare it and what made sense to me. The first time I bought one, I think I picked the largest of the bunch. Once it came out of the oven, I was still not believing that this hard vegetable could magically turn into spaghetti like spirals. I was truly amazed at how the recipes said this would turn out. One thing I realized was that you don’t want to bake it too long because the inside would be too soggy. My first spaghetti squash was my TEST. It was edible, but too soft for my taste. The next time I bought a much smaller one. I didn’t bake it as long and I placed in a strainer to make sure most of the liquid was drained. Another tip was that I did not fold the sauce and shrimp into the spaghetti squash. I placed on top because too much handling of the spaghetti squash makes it soggy.
Wash Spaghetti squash and cut in half.
- Scoop middle out and discard.
- Season inside with salt and pepper. Rub inside with olive oil.
- Place face down on a piece of foil.
- Bake on 350 degrees uncovered for 15-20 minutes. I would test after 15 minutes to see if squash pulls away from peeling when scraped with a fork. (I prefer mine al la dente) Personal preference
- Once cooled, take a fork and start on the outside and start scrapping out of the peeling.
- After Spaghetti squash has been hallowed out, place in a strainer to drain.
- In a sauce pan melt butter and add shrimp.Cook for about 2-3 minutes until pink.
- Add chopped pieces of smoked sausage along with green onion and bell pepper. Save a few pinches of green onion to garnish top. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- After spaghetti squash has drained, season with garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste. Do not recook. Place a serving of Spaghetti squash back in hallowed out peeling.
- Spoon shrimp and sausage mixture over Spaghetti squash.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of both cheeses on top.
- Place in microwave until cheese melts.
- Garnish with remaining green onion.