- Crawfish Tails2 Packs(peeled / 12 or 16 oz bags)
- Green Onion1 Cup
- Fresh Garlic1/4 Cup(chopped)
- Chicken or Shrimp Stock1/2 Cup
- Bell Pepper1/4 Cup
- Fresh Chopped Parsley1/4 Cup
- Milk1/2 Cup
- Stick of Butter1
- Corn Starch2 Tablespoons
- Pinch of Crab boil
- Salt pepper, Paprika, and Cayenne Pepper
- Miniature Pie Shells10 - 12
Can’t get much better than an overstuffed flaky crawfish pie. These little tarts have always been served in my home as a Special treat. When crawfish are plentiful, I make these because this recipe consists mainly of crawfish and no fillers. When I first made crawfish pies I remembered having to call my aunt Thelma and ask a lot of questions. After about the third call, she said I will stay on the phone and walk you though. After we finished, I got my paper and pen and wrote down that recipe. This was over 30 years ago, but it comes out perfect every time I make them.
- Take miniature pie shells out of the freezer. Take a knife and make 2-3 small slits in bottom of crust.
- Bake only the pie shells on 350 degrees until crust is lightly brown.
- Take out oven and let cool.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat
- Cook and stir the onion, bel pepper, garlic, salt, pepper
cayenne pepper until the vegetables are tender and the onion
is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crawfish tails, throw in that pinch of crab boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook
for about 3 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk corn starch into cold milk and stock in a bowl until
the mixture is smooth, and pour the mixture into the skillet.
Bring the filling to a simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until the
mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add chopped parsley.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes to finish
- While filling is cooling, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, Fill over the base of the rim
of the pie shell. Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown
and the filling is hot and bubbling 15-20 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If mixture is too thick, add a little more milk. If you want mixture to be thicker, add
more corn starch to cold milk. Prep time 30 minutes. Cook time: 20-30 minutes. Serving size: 10-12 Crawfish pies