- Shrimp1 Pound16-20 Peeled and deveined
- Coleslaw2 CupsBagged and already sliced
- Bell peppers1/2 CupThinly sliced green, orange or yellow
- Onion1/2 CupPurple or white (chopped)
- Cilantro1/4 CupChopped
- Jerk marinade1/2 CupYour favorite type
- Tortilla Shells12Small (warmed)
- Sour cream1/2 CupIngredient for sauce
- Pineapples4 TablespoonsIngredient for sauce (Crushed)
- Coconut Cream2 TablespoonsIngredient for sauce
- Rum or Rum extract1 TablespoonsIngredient for sauce
As a person who loves to experiment in the kitchen, I’m always looking for different ways to prepare foods. My family had taken a Cruise last year and we visited Jamaica. After arriving there, we took an excursion to one of the local areas. While driving, there was the most fragrant smell coming from a local restaurant. We decided to follow our noses and soon discovered that the smell was a dish prepared with jerk seasoning. When I got home, of course I went in search of Jerk sauce, seasoning and wanted to recapture that delicious smell.
- Marinate the shrimp in the the jerk marinade for at least 30 minutes or over night.
- Grill the shrimp over medium-high heat until cooked, about 1-3 minutes on each side.
- Toss the coleslaw in half of the crema.
- Assemble tacos by placing the coleslaw on the tortillas, followed by the grilled shrimp
- Add uncooked bell peppers and cilantro
- Finally drizzle crema on top of shrimp and vegetables
- Garnish with Avocado and lemon wedge
Pina Colada Crema
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Servings: 1 cup. All of the flavors of pina colada in a crema that is perfect for jerk tacos and other Caribbean inspired dishes!
Ingredients for sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons pineapple
2 tablespoons coconut cream
1 tablespoon rum (or 1 teaspoon rum extract) (optional)
Puree all ingredients for sauce in a food processor